Occupational Therapy Assistant, Associate of Applied Science
Curriculum Code #2420
Effective May 2019
The EHOVE/LCCC occupational therapy assistant program is designed to train occupational therapy assistants for certification testing and licensure. OTAs work with people of all ages, from infants to geriatrics, in a variety of settings such as schools, hospitals, skilled rehabilitation and outpatient facilities to improve their functional levels in daily occupations and development. Graduates of this program will receive an associate of applied science degree in occupational therapy assisting from Lorain County Community College. Grades in all OCTA classes, including preadmission coursework must be C or better. Lorain County Community College has articulation agreements with colleges and universities including programs offered by Lorain County Community College’s University Partnership.
|ALHN 120||CAREER EXPLORATIONS IN OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY||1|
|BIOG 121||ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY I||4|
|ENGL 161||COLLEGE COMPOSITION I||3|
|MTHM 168||STATISTICS 1||3|
|PSYH 151||INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOLOGY||3|
|SDEV 101||COLLEGE 101 2||1|
|ALHN 112||INTRO TO MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY||1|
|BIOG 122||ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY II 1||4|
|OCTA 102||ACTIVITY ANALYSIS 3,4||2|
|OCTA 111||THERAPY CONCEPTS 3,4||3|
|OCTA 113||OT DOCUMENTATION 3,4||1|
|PSYH 251||HUMAN GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT 1||3|
|OCTA 112||PEDIATRIC LEVEL I FIELDWORK 3,4||1|
|OCTA 120||NEUROMUSCULAR APPLICATIONS 3,4||3|
|OCTA 125||PEDIATRIC OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY 3,4||5|
|PSYH 257||ABNORMAL PSYCHOLOGY 1||3|
|OCTA 110||PSYCHOSOCIAL LEVEL I FIELDWORK 3,4||1|
|OCTA 115||MENTAL HEALTH OT 3,4||4|
|OCTA 121||OT IN GERIATRICS 3,4||1|
|ALHN 121||GENERAL PATHOLOGY 1||2|
|OCTA 206||ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY 3,4||2|
|OCTA 207||PHYSICAL DYSFUNCTION LEVEL I FIELDWORK 3,4||1|
|OCTA 208||OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY ISSUES||1|
|OCTA 210||PHYSICAL REHAB OT 3,4||6|
|OCTA 205||LEVEL II FIELDWORK 1,4||6|
|Total LCCC Semester Credit Hours||27|
|Courses Taken EHOVE Career Center||38|
|Total Associate Degree Semester Hours includes prerequisites||65|
Indicates that this course has a prerequisite.
A student must register for the orientation course when enrolling for more than six credit hours per semester or any course that would result in an accumulation of 13 or more credit hours.
Indicates that this course requires a prerequisite or may be taken concurrently.
Indicates that a prerequisite for EHOVE/OCTA course.
Tammy Jenkins - Academic Advisor
For information about admissions, enrollment, transfer, graduation and other general questions, please contact your advising team.
Admission Requirements for Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Complete LCCC application.
- Official high school or GED and college/program transcripts (if applicable) on file in the LCCC Records office.
- Attend informational meeting at EHOVE Career Center.
- Completion of ALHN 120 and all preadmission classes is required by the end of spring semester of the year the student is applying.
- Program application submitted to EHOVE Career Center.
- Submit background check (BCI).
- Minimum GPA of 2.5 on all college-level coursework (includes transfer/transient work).
Learn more about Allied Health program requirements
Program Learning Outcomes
- Know the role of the OTA within the occupational therapy profession and as a member of a health care team.
- Be able to recognize typical from atypical in the development and functioning of our clients/patients.
- Be able to recognize difficulties with BADLs and IADLs throughout the lifespan.
- To be able to use occupation to understand patients/clients and as a basis for intervention.
- Be an active member of the OT community through continued professional growth and professional affiliations
- To provide high quality credentialed OT professionals to our community to promote health and well-being of individuals.