Policies Which May Affect Your Certification

This is an archived copy of the 2019-2020 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit http://catalog.lorainccc.edu.

To properly process a certification request, all previous college transcripts and/or military records must be evaluated for appropriate transfer credit prior to certification of benefits, even if the coursework does not apply to the current curriculum.

In most cases, credit for prior learning for one to three physical education credits will be awarded upon receipt of the Joint Services Transcript or Community College of the Air Force. Please check with our prior learning coordinator for more information on the implementation of this process. Additional physical education elective credits over the requirement of the chosen curriculum cannot be certified.

The Department of Veterans Affairs requires that coursework must be credited towards the associate of arts or associate of science degrees, approved applied degrees (A.A.B and A.A.S), one-year and short-term technical certificates. If educational goals are unclear, the student should consider declaring the associate of arts degree.

The student must report any schedule changes and supply a copy of the new schedule to LCCC's school certifying official. The Department of Veterans Affairs requires that coursework is applicable to the chosen degree or certificate. Courses that are not applicable to the chosen degree or certificate cannot be certified. The student will receive either a written notice or a telephone call when a course(s) cannot be certified. It is the student’s responsibility to respond to the notice. Please allow enough time to process a schedule adjustment (drop/add), if necessary.

Change of Degree or Certificate Program

A change of degree or certificate program is permitted but must be accompanied by a Change of Program/Place of Training VA form 22-1995 or 22-5495 (available online at http://www.lorainccc.edu/veterans/forms). The form is available online at www.gibill.va.gov. Simply key in VA Form 22-1995 in the search box to find the online form. Any dependent of a veteran receiving Chapter 35 benefits must use the Change of Program/Place of Training VA Form 22-5495. Forward the completed 22-1995 or 22-5495 as an attachment to veterans@lorainccc.edu. VA Forms are also available in the Veteran's and Military Service Members Center located in the College Center building, room 202. It is the Veteran's Administration's decision to approve or disapprove the proposed change.

Class Attendance

The class instructor will report the commencement of student class attendance after the census date of the class session. In a distance education context, documenting that a student has logged into an online class is not sufficient, by itself, to demonstrate academic attendance by the student. The class instructor must demonstrate that a student participated in class or was otherwise engaged in an academically related activity, such as by contributing to an online discussion or initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a course-related question. The class instructor determines what constitutes commencement of attendance and will record the policy in the class syllabus. Please note that the Veteran’s Administration will not pay for any Academic Foundation (remedial/developmental) classes that are taken via distance learning.

If a student enrolls in a class and is reported as not attending by the class instructor, the student will be automatically dropped from the class. Although the class will not appear on the student’s official transcript, the student may be responsible for all tuition and fees associated with the class.

Repeating Courses

Department of Veterans Affairs regulations prohibit repeating a course in which a passing grade (a D grade or higher) was earned. However, if a C grade or better is necessary to progress to the next level (i.e. nursing clinicals), the repeated course can be certified.

Monthly Monetary Award (MGIB) and Certificate of Eligibility (Post 9/11)

It is the responsibility of the Department of Veterans Affairs to determine eligibility and monthly monetary award. This is not determined by the Lorain County Community College school certifying official. It is also the responsibility of the student to know what their financial obligation is to LCCC if their educational benefits do not completely cover tuition and fees. Students using Post 9/11 GI Bill are required to provide LCCC a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility which outlines the percentage of benefits the student is entitled to. Students who have tuition assistance through Ohio National Guard must take a letter of eligibility from their unit commander to the financial services office every term. Any questions regarding eligibility or education benefits should be directed to the Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) 442-4551.

Important: VA students are paid on a monthly basis based on current hours enrolled. Students need to be aware that taking courses in subterms (eight-weeks, five-weeks) may affect full-time status. It is the student’s responsibility to check this with the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The student receiving veteran's educational benefits under MGIB Chapter 30 or 1606 must verify their current status at the end of each month by contacting the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Failure to do so will keep the veteran student from receiving their benefits. Chapter 33 (Post-9/11) and Chapter 35 (dependents/spouse) are excluded from verifying monthly enrollment. Reporting can be completed by phone at (877) 823-2378 or via the website at https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do.  

Veteran's Spouse and Dependents

Please review the additional information regarding your eligibility at www.lorainccc.edu/veterans or contact the LCCC school certifying official.  Complete information is also available on the US Dept of Veterans Affairs website under Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents.

Student Policies and Standards of Progress

The Lorain County Community College Catalog policies and regulations apply to all students, including veterans. Department of Veterans Affairs rules are additional rules which apply to veterans only. Academic advisors are available to answer any questions.

To continue receiving Department of Veterans Affairs benefits, grades must be maintained as indicated in the Veterans’ Standards of Progress.

Veterans Called to Active Duty

LCCC recognizes that veteran students may have unique challenges if they are still serving on an active or reserve basis. Veterans enrolled in courses must communicate their absence to their instructor, academic advisor and certifying official prior to activation to ensure they are not dropped from their courses. Veterans who are enrolled in the current semester who get called to active duty can petition for an administrative withdrawal with 100 percent tuition refund by providing the appropriate documentation to the associate provost of enrollment management and student success. Veteran students who get called to active duty near the end of the semester might consider pursuing an incomplete with their faculty member and finish the course through a time line established by both the student and the instructor.

Choice Act

Public Law 113-146 and Ohio Revised Code section 333.31 stipulates that all public institutions of higher education must treat any federal GI Bill education program funding recipient as an instate resident for the purposes of tuition. The service member or veteran must be using VA education benefits under Chapter 30 or Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 BI Bill), served at least 90 days on active duty and have separated, enrolled in a state institution of higher education, and lives in Ohio as of the first day of a term of enrollment in an institution of higher education.

A spouse or dependent is eligible, only while using benefits, if they are the recipient of the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry scholarship or Chapter 33 transfer of entitlement, are enrolled in a state institution of higher education, live in Ohio as of the first day of a term of enrollment in an institution of higher education, and the veteran’s period of active duty was at least 90 days and they have separated.

A VA certifying official will identify the qualified VA benefit user and will provide instructions on the requirements for the Application for Residency Tuition Status Change. An Application for Resident Tuition Status Change must be accompanied by a copy of the service member or veteran’s DD-214 (member copy 4) and proof of in state residency. Once the student establishes 12 consecutive months of residency “in-county”, he/she is required to re-apply for Resident Tuition Status Change following established residency petition guideline.

Return of Unearned TA Funds to the Government

(Catalog Addendum: Revised September 2019)

Return of Tuition Assistance: Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded.

To comply with the new Department of Defense (DoD) policy, Lorain County Community College will return any unearned TA funds on a prorate basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending. These funds are returned to the military Service branch. See LCCC website for the Schedule of Returning Unearned TA to the Government.

Instances when a Service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, LCCC will work with the affected Service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion.

Section 103 of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 

"Lorain County Community College will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 recipient borrow additional funds to cover the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of a payment by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs."