Emergency Medical Services - Paramedic, One-Year Technical Certificate
Curriculum Code #2116
Effective May 2018
The paramedic has an advanced level of knowledge and skills in the field of emergency medicine. The paramedic performs advanced life support measures including cardiac monitoring, defibrillation, endotracheal intubation, starting IVs and administering medications. The paramedic program is accredited by the Ohio Division of Emergency Medical Services (OH319). Lorain County Community College has articulation agreements with colleges and universities including programs offered by Lorain County Community College’s University Partnership.
The schedule below displays the timeline for the program if taken on a part-time basis. The part-time program has EMSP courses offered in the evening with EMSP 120 offered during the fall semester. This program also has a day-based, accelerated, full-time option in which a student begins EMSB 101 (EMT) course in January, then begins EMSP 120 in the summer and graduates from the paramedic program in December of the same year.
|BIOG 115||BODY STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION 1,2||3|
|EMSP 119||EMS ESSENTIALS 1,3||2|
|SDEV 101||COLLEGE 101 4||1|
|EMSP 120||INTRODUCTION TO ADVANCED EMERGENCY CARE 1,3||9|
|EMSP 121||ADVANCED EMERGENCY CARE II 1,3||6|
|EMSP 122||ADVANCED EMERGENCY CARE III 1,3||3|
|EMSP 123||ADVANCED EMERGENCY CARE IV 1,3||6|
|EMSP 124||ADVANCED EMERGENCY CARE V 1,3||3|
|EMSP 129||PARAMEDIC EXTERNSHIP 1,3||1|
Indicates that a grade of C (2.0) or better must be earned in order to continue in the sequence.
Indicates that this course has a prerequisite.
A student must register for the orientation course when enrolling for more than six credit hours per semester or any course that would result in an accumulation of 13 or more credit hours.
|BIOG 115||BODY STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION||3|
|EMSP 119||EMS ESSENTIALS||2|
|EMSP 120||INTRODUCTION TO ADVANCED EMERGENCY CARE||9|
|EMSP 121||ADVANCED EMERGENCY CARE II||6|
|EMSP 122||ADVANCED EMERGENCY CARE III||3|
|EMSP 123||ADVANCED EMERGENCY CARE IV||6|
|EMSP 124||ADVANCED EMERGENCY CARE V||3|
|EMSP 129||PARAMEDIC EXTERNSHIP||1|
Admission Requirements for Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic
- Official high school or GED and college/program transcripts (if applicable) on file in the LCCC Records office.
- Successful correction of all deficiencies shown during the placement assessment process with a grade of C or better.
- Current certified EMT or certified AEMT in Ohio.
- Valid State of Ohio driver’s license.
- Program application form on file.
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 for all college-level coursework completed at any higher education institution.
- Have completed BIOG 115 BODY STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION or BIOG 121 ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY I and BIOG 122 ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY II with a grade of C or better.
Learn more about Allied Health program requirements