Physical Therapist Assisting, Associate of Applied Science
Curriculum Code #2411
Effective May 2017
The physical therapist assistant program at LCCC prepares physical therapists assistants to perform selected physical therapy procedures professionally and competently, under the direction and supervision of the physical therapist and within their contemporary scope of practice. The program promotes academic excellence, lifelong learning, and encourages the personal and professional growth of students, graduates, faculty and community to meet the needs of stakeholders. Lorain County Community College has articulation agreements with colleges and universities including programs offered by Lorain County Community College’s University Partnership.
|BIOG 121||ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY I 1||4|
|ENGL 161||COLLEGE COMPOSITION I||3|
|PTHA 105||FOUNDATIONS OF PHYSICAL THERAPIST ASSISTING 1,2||2|
|PTHA 111||INTRODUCTION TO PHYSICAL THERAPIST ASSISTING 1,2||2|
|PTHA 121||PHYSICAL THERAPIST ASSITING PROCEDURES I 1,2||5|
|SDEV 101||COLLEGE 101 3||1|
|BIOG 122||ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY II 1,2||4|
|PTHA 112||FUNCTIONAL ANATOMY AND KINESIOLOGY 1,2||4|
|PTHA 122||PHYSICAL THERAPIST ASSISTING PROCEDURES II 1,2||5|
|ALHN 121||GENERAL PATHOLOGY 2||2|
|PSYH 151||INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOLOGY||3|
|PTHA 241||CLINICAL PRACTICUM I 1,2,4||3|
|PSYH 251||HUMAN GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT 2||3|
|PTHA 221||REHABILITATION PRINCIPLES I 1,2||3|
|PTHA 242||CLINICAL PRACTICUM II 1,2,4||3|
|SOCY 151G||INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY||3|
|PTHA 222||REHABILITATION PRINCIPLES II 1,2||4|
|PTHA 243||CLINICAL PRACTICUM III 1, 2, 4||5|
|PTHA 245||ADVANCED TOPICS AND CLINICAL CRITIQUE 1,2||3|
Indicates that a grade of C (2.0) or better must be earned in order to continue in the sequence.
Indicates that this course has a prerequisite.
A student must register for the orientation course when enrolling for more than six credit hours per semester or any course that would result in an accumulation of 13 or more credit hours.
Indicates that this course incorporates experiential learning components.
American Heart Association Healthcare Provider certification is required upon entrance into the program.
Admission Requirements for Physical Therapist Assisting
- Official high school or GED and college/program transcripts (if applicable) on file in the LCCC Records office.
- Minimum high school GPA of 3.0 if 15 credit hours of college-level work have not been completed or a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher if 15 credit hours of college-level program supporting coursework have been completed (includes transfer/transient work).
- High school biology or college-level biology course (including lab) with a grade of C or better.
- One year of high school or college-level algebra with a grade of C or better.
- Program application form on file by November 15 in the fall semester in order to be considered for the next class. A student not offered admission into program for the fall semester must submit a new physical therapist assisting program application.
Please note: Selection for program entry is competitive and based on a combination of factors including grade point average, interview, completion of volunteer/observation hours, observation of professional behaviors, recommendations from the clinical site, a self-narrative and completion of program supporting non-technical courses. Only selected candidates (initially based on support coursework completed and GPA) will be asked to interview and submit a narrative form, along with volunteer-hour documentation. The physical therapist assisting program provides the forms after the initial selection process occurs.
Learn more about Allied Health program requirements