Practical Nursing, One-Year Technical Certificate
Curriculum Code #2091
Effective May 2017
The practical nursing program prepares graduates to function as a licensed practical nurse. The licensed practical nurse provides, to individuals and groups, nursing care requiring the application of basic knowledge of the biological, physical, behavioral, social, technological and nursing sciences. Nursing care is provided at the direction of a licensed physician, dentist, podiatrist, optometrist or registered nurse. The graduate is eligible to take the NCLEX examination for licensure as a practical nurse. Lorain County Community College has articulation agreements with colleges and universities including programs offered by Lorain County Community College’s University Partnership.
|BIOG 115||BODY STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION 1||3|
|ENGL 161||COLLEGE COMPOSITION I 1||3|
|PRNS 110||INTRODUCTION TO MEDICATIONS 1,2||1|
|PRNS 111||FUND OF MEDICAL/SURGICAL NURSING I 1,2||10|
|SDEV 101||COLLEGE 101 3||1|
|PRNS 112||MEDICAL/SURGICAL NURSING II 1,2||12|
|PSYH 151||INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOLOGY 1||3|
|PRNS 116||MATERNITY NURSING 1,2||2|
|PRNS 118||PEDIATRIC NURSING 1,2||2|
|PRNS 120||MANAGEMENT IN GERIATRICS 1,2||2|
|SOCY 151G||INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY||3|
Indicates that a grade of C (2.0) or better must be earned in order to continue in the sequence.
Indicates that this course has a prerequisite.
A student must register for the orientation course when enrolling for more than six credit hours per semester or any course that would result in an accumulation of 13 or more credit hours.
American Heart Association Healthcare Provider certification is required upon entrance into the program.
Admission Requirements for Practical Nursing
- Official high school or GED and college/program transcripts (if applicable) on file in the LCCC Records office.
- Proficiency in basic math (MTHM 041 ) or equivalent with a grade of C or better.
- Recognized state tested nursing assistant (STNA) status, completion of nurse aide training program (ALHN 114 or division approval.
- 2.0 GPA for all college coursework completed at any institution of higher education.
- Successful completion of all deficiencies shown during the placement assessment process with a grade of C or better.
- Program application form on file.
- Obtain a minimum composite score of 70 on the HESI (A2) exam.
Learn more about Allied Health program requirements