Surgical Technology, Associate of Applied Science
Curriculum Code #2407
Effective May 2018
The surgical technology program prepares its graduates with a thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of surgical procedures and functions in the operating room. Upon completion of the program, graduates are qualified to serve on a surgical team in any hospital operating room and are also eligible to take the Certification Examination of the Association of Surgical Technologists. Lorain County Community College has articulation agreements with colleges and universities including programs offered by Lorain County Community College’s University Partnership.
|ALHN 108||CAREER EXPLORATION IN SURGICAL TECHNOLOLGY||1|
|ALHN 112||INTRO TO MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY 1||1|
|ALHN 113||INTRODUCTION TO PATIENT CARE 1,2||1|
|BIOG 121||ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY I 1||4|
|ENGL 161||COLLEGE COMPOSITION I||3|
|SDEV 101||COLLEGE 101 3||1|
|SRGT 124||INTRODUCTION TO SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY 1,4||8|
|BIOG 122||ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY II 1,4||4|
|MTHM 158||QUANTITATIVE REASONING||3|
|SRGT 114||SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY II - SURGICAL PROCEDURES 1,5||8|
|ALHN 121||GENERAL PATHOLOGY 4||2|
|BIOG 251||GENERAL MICROBIOLOGY 1,4||4|
|ENGL 162||COLLEGE COMPOSITION II 4||3|
|SRGT 215||SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY III SURGICAL PROCEDURES 1,4,5||8|
|SOCY 151G||INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY||3|
|SRGT 226||SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY IV 1,4,5||11|
Indicates that a grade of C (2.0) or better must be earned in order to continue in the sequence.
Students who have STNA status are not required to take ALHN 113.
A student must register for the orientation course when enrolling for more than six credit hours per semester or any course that would result in an accumulation of 13 or more credit hours.
Indicates that this course has a prerequisite.
This course offers an opportunity for experiential learning.
American Heart Association Healthcare Provider certification is required upon entrance into the program.
Admission Requirements for Surgical Technology
- Official high school or GED and college/program transcripts (if applicable) on file in the LCCC Records office.
- Accuplacer in MTHM 158 or completion of MTHM 058.
- Accuplacer in ENGL 161 or completion of ENGL 092.
- Successful completion of all deficiencies shown during the placement assessment process with a grade of C or better.
- 2.0 GPA for all college coursework completed at any institution of higher education.
- Program application form on file.
- Completion of ALHN 108 with a C or higher.
Learn more about Allied Health program requirements
Program Learning Outcomes
- Understand the basic concepts and principles of surgical technology for optimum care of the surgical patient and demonstrate competencies as defined by the Association of Surgical Technologist
- Perform as an integral member of the surgical team with minimum orientation
- Provide responsible care of the surgical patient with guidance and supervision
- Demonstrate patient care concepts
- Demonstrate the application of the principles of asepsis in a knowledgeable manner to provide optimum patient care
- Demonstrate basic surgical case preparation skills
- Demonstrate creation and maintenance of the sterile field
- Demonstrate the role of the scrub person and circulator
- Demonstrate accountability as a health care professional
- Function as a responsible member of the surgical team with minimum directions
- Be eligible to sit for the National Certifying Examination